I am so excited for spring. In fact, I don’t think I have ever been THIS excited. But since Boston had one of the most brutal winters with regards to the snow, it is great to see the sun shine a tad bit more, the temperature increasing, and the snow finally beginning to melt.
My mom and I usually consider the annual opening day of a local ice cream shop called Dairy Joy as the first day of spring. When it opens up, it means it is warm enough to eat ice cream, hence the winter is finally over. We live right down the street from Dairy Joy, so when the opening day comes around, we immediately grab an ice cream cone dipped in chocolate. I am proud to announce that the Dairy Joy is opening up tomorrow, so spring is here! Yay! Can’t wait to eat that chocolate-dipped ice cream cone!
As a celebration of the springtime, I decided to make a zucchini noodle dish with peas, asparagus, and kale pesto (recipe can be found here) inspired by the Green Goddess Pasta dish by Healthy Delicious. It is completely vegan (if you omit the parmesan cheese), gluten-free, and refined sugar free. This dish is extremely healthy as it is low carb and consists of four different vegetables. Below is the recipe! Enjoy!
- 1 medium to large Zucchini, spiralized or sliced into noodles
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup chopped Asparagus
- ½ cup frozen Peas, thawed
- Kale Pesto, as much as you like
- Parmesan cheese to top, optional
- Spiralize or slice your zucchini into thin strips for noodles then set aside
- In a large frying pan, pour in the olive oil and the asparagus and cook on medium heat
- Cook asparagus until it is tender enough to your liking, generally tender enough to pierce with a fork all the way through
- Once asparagus is cooked, add in the zucchini noodles to the frying pan and cook until soft. These will need only a few minutes to cook.
- While the asparagus and zucchini noodles are cooking, thaw the frozen peas in a microwave
- Once asparagus and zucchini noodles are cooked, place them in a large mixing bowl with the thawed peas and mix in some Kale Pesto (recipe for kale pesto is listed below) or any pesto of your choice
- Mix together, serve on a plate, and top with some parmesan cheese
Recipe for Kale Pesto can be found here!