Holy moly, I have been eating so many cookies lately. With the holiday’s coming up and working between two offices, I have had more holiday office parties than one could ever want. My office at the Massachusetts Department of Public Health had a building-wide office potluck in which each of the eight floors brought in food. Allow me to repeat: EIGHT floors of food! One floor was dedicated to desserts and consisted of a buffet line of different cookies, brownies, cakes and even had a chocolate fountain. So needless to say, I probably need a detox.
But why detox when you can keep eating delicious but HEALTHY treats? Like these grain-free peanut butter blossoms. They are healthier than the typical peanut butter blossoms in which they use chickpea flour instead of any grain, coconut sugar in place of regular sugar, and are protein packed. You could definitely snag a few for breakfast or eat them post-workout too. Or you can mindlessly snack on them while wrapping all your gifts for the holidays as I have been doing all morning. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas in my humble abode.
I am sad to report that out of the three office holiday parties I went to this year, no one had brought peanut butter blossoms. They are my favorite cookie second in line to the OG chocolate chip. So of course, since NO ONE brought any, I had to make a bunch at home myself. And since I am not the best baker in the world, especially when trying to make HEALTHY baked goods, I had to try at least three times to get this recipe right. As a result, I have about 30+ cookies lying around for me and my lovely roommate to snack on. What a tough life we live…
They’re healthy enough to be eaten during the holidays and post-holidays in January when you are finally attempting that detox. So, if you are in need of a super delicious, grain-free, protein packed cookie try out the recipe below. And Happy Holiday’s Everyone!
- 1½ cup Chickpea Flour (aka Garbanzo Bean Flour)
- ½ cup Coconut Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Coconut Oil, melted
- ¾ cup Peanut Butter, smooth
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs, large
- 18 Hershey Kisses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, coconut sugar, baking soda and salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together the two eggs
- Pour the whisked eggs in a separate large mixing bowl and combine with the coconut oil, peanut butter, and vanilla extract
- Then pour the liquid ingredients into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients
- Thoroughly mix until it forms a dough
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Roll a heaping tablespoon of dough into a ball and place onto the baking sheet
- Using your fingers, press down slightly to form a cookie shape
- Repeat until all the dough is made into balls and pressed into the baking sheet
- Bake for 9-11 minutes until the cookies are golden brown on the edges
- Take out of the oven and immediately place an unwrapped Hershey kiss in the center of each cookie
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!