‘Tis the season to be jolly with hot chocolate, gingerbread, eggnog, and of course, all types of peppermint flavored things. One of my favorite desserts this time of year is peppermint bark. To be exact, I always loved the one from Williams Sonoma in that pretty little red and white striped tin. Yummm. This year, I wanted to make a healthier version of that delicious treat and decided to make this decadent VEGAN peppermint bark. You may be wondering just how I created both a dark and white chocolate layer while keeping it vegan?? Well, the two secret ingredients for this heavenly bark are coconut oil and cocoa butter. The dark chocolate layer is simply coconut oil, cacao powder, peppermint extract, and maple syrup. The white chocolate layer is Cocoa Butter (the key ingredient to all white chocolates), coconut oil, vanilla extract, sweetener, and peppermint extract. Cocoa Butter can be hard to find in grocery stores, so I just found a good food grade supply here from Amazon.
And let me tell you, most people won’t even know that this treat is vegan. It’s one of those sneaky is-it-really-vegan-and-actually-healthier-for-me-treats. It tastes just like the real thing! Both of the chocolate layers are so creamy that it instantly melts in your mouth.
I have been storing the rest of this bark in the fridge and cannot help myself from eating a couple pieces before AND after dinner. I’m pretty much constantly eating this anytime that I am home from work. It is a healthier version of peppermint bark but everything in MODERATION, ya’ll! Too addicting. Just. Can’t. Stop. Eating. It.
I also came across the never-ending losing battle of a scorching hot uncontrollable apartment and attempting to take pictures of food that can melt. I cannot really control the temperature in my apartment and it always feels at least 80 degrees. Most of the time, except when it comes to taking pictures of things that can melt. So if you are making this bark and you too have an uncontrollably hot apartment, store this in the fridge or freezer!…Or just eat it all before it has a chance to melt!
Hope you enjoy this healthier Vegan Peppermint Bark! Happy Holiday’s, Everyone!
- ½ cup Cacao Powder (or Cocoa Powder works fine too)
- ½ cup Coconut Oil, melted
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 2 cups Cocoa Butter, finely chopped or shaved
- ¾ cup Coconut Oil
- ½ teaspoon Peppermint Extract
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon Liquid Stevia** (this will depend on the type of Stevia and your preferred sweetness)
- ½ cup Crushed Peppermints to top
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cacao powder, coconut oil, maple syrup, and peppermint extract
- Stir until thoroughly mixed
- Pour dark chocolate mixture on top of a large baking sheet covered with a layer of parchment paper
- Place in freezer and allow dark chocolate to harden for about 30 minutes or until solid
- While dark chocolate layer is hardening, melt the cocoa butter and coconut oil in a microwave or over a double-burner on the stove (I warmed it up in the microwave for 30 second intervals)
- Once the coconut oil and cocoa butter are melted, add in the peppermint extract, vanilla extract, and stevia and mix together
- Place peppermints in a bag and use a mallet to crush into small pieces
- Take out the dark chocolate layer on the baking sheet and pour the white chocolate mixture over the dark chocolate layer
- Sprinkle the crushed peppermints scattering across the white chocolate layer
- Immediately place the bark back into the freezer and allow the white chocolate layer to harden
- Take out after 30 minutes or when bark is hardened and using your hands, a knife, or a mallet, break into pieces
- Serve and enjoy!