Game day is coming up this Sunday and I’m pretty pumped to see the Pats in the Superbowl again! I am not the biggest sports person in the world, by any means, but I do enjoy the social gathering and celebration that encompasses these sporting events. I won’t ever pass up an opportunity to eat some nachos, with a nice cold glass of Prosecco, surrounded by friends cheering on our team and debating about the best commercial that we’ve seen thus far. And it definitely makes it more fun when your home team is playing. GO PATS!
Superbowl Sunday is often associated with super unhealthy appetizers and snacks, like chicken wings, french fries, burgers, chips with dip, and don’t forget, a ton of Bud Light. But, this doesn’t mean that these snacks have to be unhealthy! There are many ways to lighten up these traditional game day bites, which is exactly what I did with these Buffalo Sweet Potato nachos!
This healthier version of nachos does require more prep than traditional nachos, but I promise it is worth it!! The first step in making these nachos is to cook the buffalo chicken. I slow cooked the buffalo chicken in my Crock-Pot so that it was super easy to shred. It took only about 3 hours when cooked on high and came out so tender, juicy, and freaking delicious. Although 3 hours isn’t a short amount of time, you can cook and prep the other ingredients for the nachos while the chicken is cooking.
The second step is making these super addicting sweet potato chips. The chips are not hard to make at all and only take about 25-30 minutes to cook. The one tip that I have to make these chips as crispy and “chip-like” as they can be is to use a Mandoline slicer, like this Liba Mandoline Slicer, and a baking rack, like this Kitchenatics Cooling and Roasting Rack. Using a mandoline slicer allows you to cut the sweet potatoes super thin with no fuss. And using a baking rack allows the chips to be cooked on both sides, to ensure extra crispiness. I like this one by Kitchenatics because it fits nicely into your baking sheet and does not use any artificial coatings that could harm your food or yourself!
See how crispy and delicious they came out?! I mean, seriously, yum.
I topped these yummy chips with some spicy buffalo chicken, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese mix, poblano peppers, avocado, and some blue cheese crumbles. Put that baby into the oven and out came some crave-worthy heavenly goodness!
I threw a surprise birthday party for one of my best friends last night and decided to use the party-goers as taste testers for this recipe. I kept getting comments on how tasty it was and how happy they were that it was also healthy. To say that it was a crowd pleaser would be an understatement.
Products I used to make this recipe:
- Crock-Pot 6-Quart Programmable Cook and Carry Oval Slow Cooker
- Liba Mandoline Slicer
- Kitchenatics Roasting Rack
- Frank’s RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce, 12 oz
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
Check out the recipe below to try it for yourself! 🙂
- 3 Large Boneless Chicken Breasts (about 1.5 pounds of chicken)
- 1 12 oz. bottle of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce
- 3 Tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 4-5 Sweet potatoes
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Sweet Potato Chips
- Buffalo Chicken, shredded
- ½ cup Tomato, diced
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1-2 Tablespoons Blue Cheese crumbles
- 1 Poblano Pepper, sliced
- ½ Avocado, diced
- ¼ cup Cilantro, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Scallions, chopped
- Place the chicken breasts into a slow cooker
- In a bowl, mix together the buffalo sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, and salt
- Pour mixture over the chicken breasts in the slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours
- When chicken is done cooking, turn off the slow cooker and take the chicken out and place onto a cutting board
- Use two forks to pull the chicken apart to shred
- Place shredded chicken back into the slow cooker to mix with the buffalo sauce until ready to put on top of the nachos
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes thoroughly to remove any dirt
- Using a mandolin slicer, cut the sweet potatoes into thin slices (the thinner they are, the crispier they will be)- If you do not have a mandolin slicer, you can use your knife but will take a lot longer and will not be as precise
- Once the sweet potatoes are thinly sliced, toss them with the olive oil and salt in a bowl
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top, if you are using one
- Place each sweet potato slice onto the baking rack, making sure not to stack them
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until crispy
- Once the buffalo chicken and sweet potato chips are done cooking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Place the sweet potato chips onto a greased baking sheet
- Top the sweet potato chips with the buffalo chicken, diced tomatoes, cheddar cheese, blue cheese, and poblano pepper, distributing the ingredients evenly across the chips
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes, until the cheese is melted
- When done cooking, take the nachos out of the oven and top with avocado, cilantro, and scallions
- Serve and enjoy!