This summer blueberry pizza combines everything that is good at the farmer’s market right now. It incorporates beets in a way that most have never tried and let me tell you, beet pesto is everything. I was getting so sick of roasted beets and eating them just as they are, roasted. I took a break from beets for a while because of it. But, with this more creative way of eating roasted beets, it makes me want to buy beets at the farmers market again and again and again!
The beet pesto is like regular pesto but substituting the beets for the basil and the walnuts for pine nuts. It is slightly sweet accompanied with a slight tang from the lemon juice, and has some saltiness from the parmesan and the sea salt. The flavors are absolutely distinctive as well as delicious. The recipe for the beet pesto will make enough for the pizza and enough to store for leftovers to use on pasta, another pizza, eat with veggies, or however else you like to eat the pesto.
The beet pesto accompanies the sweet but tart flavors of the blueberries, the slight bitterness of the arugula, and the creamy goodness of the goat and mozzarella cheeses. Combined all together this creates a magnificent pizza for summer nights. If I wasn’t living in a sticky, humid, and super hot apartment in Boston, I would absolutely sit out on a nice porch with friends, eating this pizza and drinking a glass of rosé. But, I guess my kitchen table will have to do in the meantime.
If you’re having a busy night, this pizza does not take long to make. I used pizza dough that I got at the store and already roasted beets. That saves a significant amount of time, only about 25 minutes to prepare. So even though it looks a little complicated, the pizza will be done in no time and ready for you to eat!
If you eat gluten-free, you can use a gluten-free pizza dough or substitute the pizza dough for a cauliflower-crust pizza, zucchini-crust pizza, flatbread, naan, pita, or any other pizza crust of your choosing. The great thing about pizzas is that they can be adapted and made to your own liking while remaining absolutely delicious and healthy! You can’t go wrong!
- Pizza dough from the grocery store
- ⅓ cup Beet Pesto (recipe below)
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- ½ cup Goat Cheese Crumbles
- 1 cup Blueberries
- 1 handful of Arugula
- 1 Cups of Roasted Beets, cubed
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- ½ cup Walnuts
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor
- Blend until texture is smooth
- Add any additional, salt, pepper, lemon juice to taste
- Set aside about ⅓ of a cup for the pizza
- Store the leftovers in the fridge
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Farenheit (or whichever temperature the dough package says to cook at)
- Roll out the pizza dough in desired shape
- Spread the beet pesto evenly across the whole pizza
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and goat cheese on top of the pesto
- Sprinkle the blueberries evenly across the pizza
- Place pizza in the oven and cook until the crust turns slightly golden brown on the outside and the cheese has melted (about 15 minutes)
- Once ready, take the pizza out to cool and sprinkle desired amount of arugula on top
- Wait to cool and then slice pizza
- Serve and enjoy!