When I think of oatmeal, I don’t usually think of it as savory. I usually think of oatmeal topped with maple syrup or brown sugar. But lately, I’ve been seeing more and more savory dishes of oatmeal. So I decided to take a stab at a savory oatmeal dish and made this delicious Savory Mushroom Oatmeal Bowl!
Oatmeal is a super healthy breakfast. But often times when we top it with all this sugar (such as brown sugar or maple syrup), it adds a whole bunch of empty calories to an otherwise incredibly healthy breakfast.
Savory oatmeal fixes this issue. It has no added sugar. This recipe, in particular, is only topped with plants and eggs, making it a hearty vegetarian breakfast! It also uses Rolled Oats making it gluten-free!
For this recipe, I used two types of mushrooms- oyster mushrooms and baby portobello mushrooms. I personally LOVE oyster mushrooms. I can eat them for every meal and never get sick of them. Fun fact, I actually grew them out of a box in an Organic Mushroom Farm Kit I bought at Whole Foods and damn, they were so good! The only thing is, the kit only grows mushrooms about two times. But it was still fun to grow them!
Anyways, back to the recipe, you can use any type of mushrooms you like in this savory oatmeal! Pick your favorites and mix them in!
To make this recipe all the more flavorful, I added in Truffle Oil. Truffle oil is decadent, incredibly tasty, and really brings out the nutty flavors of the mushrooms. I only added a tiny drizzle because the flavor is pretty powerful.
I’m telling you this oatmeal topped with mushrooms, truffle oil, parmesan cheese, chives, and a fried egg is life changing. It will help you mix up your breakfast if you’re in a sweet oatmeal rut!
Check out the recipe below and let me know how you like it!
- ½ cup Rolled Oats
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ cup Mushrooms, any kind, sliced
- 1 to 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ Tablespoon Chives, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Parmesan Cheese, grated
- Truffle Oil, to taste
- Pour the rolled oats and the water into a microwaveable bowl
- Heat on high for about two minutes (this time may vary depending on the microwave) or until the oatmeal is cooked
- While oatmeal is cooking or cooling down, heat a medium saucepan with 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil on medium high heat
- Add in the mushrooms and cook on medium-high until the mushrooms have turned brown and are tender to pierce with a fork
- Take mushrooms out of the pan and pour on top of the cooked oatmeal
- Using the same pan, heat the other Tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat
- Crack an egg into the pan once the pan is hot
- Fry the egg until the white is fully cooked
- Place cooked fried egg on top of the mushrooms and oatmeal
- Sprinkle the salt, Parmesan cheese, and chives on top of the oatmeal bowl
- Drizzle truffle oil to taste
- Serve and enjoy!