Mmmm, mmmm frittata. I recently found “The Chopped Cookbook” by the Food Network in my local library. I am addicted to watching the show “Chopped,” so naturally, I had to check out this cookbook. For those of you who don’t know, “Chopped” is a show on the Food Network, in which there are four contestants and three rounds of cooking: an appetizer round, an entree round, and a dessert round. For each round, each contestant receives a basket. In each basket there are some mystery ingredients. Each contestant has to incorporate these mystery ingredients into a dish that fits the criteria of whatever they’re making that round (either an appetizer, entree, or dessert). The contestants receive a new basket with new ingredients for each round. The contestant who performs the worst in each round is kicked off in that particular round. Therefore, in the last round (the dessert round) one person is kicked off and the last person is deemed the “Chopped Champion.” Ahhh, how I love this show.
Anyways, the idea of the “Chopped Cookbook” is pretty cool. Just like the contestants of the show have to cook a dish with the ingredients they are given, the “Chopped Cookbook” is based on the same idea, in which average Americans work with the ingredients that are inside their fridge. Therefore, the cookbook consists of a bunch of decadent recipes that are based on ingredients that most American’s have in their fridge and pantry at any given time.
This book has a number of great recipes including a recipe for frittata. They give you instructions for creating the base of the frittata, which I used for this recipe. I decided to use the base to make a prosciutto and asparagus frittata. It was so delicious! If you are vegetarian, substitute the prosciutto for another yummy vegetable and it will still taste great!
- 10 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup Milk (I used almond milk and it worked just fine)
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- A couple of turns of freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 cups Asparagus, chopped
- 1 pack of Prosciutto, sliced into bite sized pieces
- 1 clove of Garlic, minced
- ½ cup of Parmesan Cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Whisk all of the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper together in a large mixing bowl
- Add the chopped asparagus, prosciutto, garlic, and both of the cheeses into the beaten egg mixture
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil in a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium-high heat
- Add the beaten egg mixture and cook until the edges start to set (about 2 minutes)
- Once the edges are beginning to set, move the skillet into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes until the center is cooked
- Once it is finished cooking, take it out of the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes before eating
- Serve and enjoy!