It is no surprise by now that I am obsessed with matcha. Especially matcha and chocolate (see my Chocolate Matcha Truffles). But what about this Matcha Nice Cream Float?! Now this, this is a winner right here. So move over root beer, and say hello to matcha!This float has a matcha latte as the base. It consists entirely of matcha, water and a splash of coconut milk. To make a proper matcha latte, it would be good to use a whisking tool, like the Bamboo Whisk. That way you can make sure the fine powder of the matcha is thoroughly mixed into the coconut milk and water. But you can also use something like a blender too. Whatever you prefer!
To make this latte, you also don’t need to use the ceremonial grade. I like to use this DoMatcha Organic Summer Harvest Matcha. It’s 100% organic Japanese matcha, has a great taste, is vibrant green how real matcha is supposed to be, and cheaper than the ceremonial grade making it great to make drinks like a matcha latte.You want to know what is great about this float? It’s good for you! It tastes like a treat but you wouldn’t know it was actually healthy. It’s vegan and has no added sugar. Allow me to repeat myself- no added sugar! But it still tastes like an decadent ice cream float on top of a refreshing matcha latte. Score!
So next time you’re craving a dessert during these hot summer days, make this one. Your bikini bod will still look and feel the same afterwards!And of course as I was taking these pictures in my 90 degree apartment on a wicked humid summer day in Boston the nice cream began to melt. I attempted to drizzle the hot fudge and mint sprig as a decadent little garnish but it quickly became looking like a hurricane hit it. But I like to think it’s an artsy messy, yeah? Ha, oh well, that’s the reality of an AC-less apartment in middle of summer.
So just be prepared that if you too are also making this matcha float in an AC-less apartment in the middle of summer, you’ll have to eat it fast. But that should be no problem because it is that delicious. Check out the recipe below for how to make it! Enjoy!
- 4 Frozen Bananas
- 2½ Tablespoons Cacao Powder
- Hot Fudge and Mint Sprig to garnish (optional)
- 4 cups Water
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- 2½ Tablespoons Matcha Powder
- Place the frozen bananas into a food processor
- Pulse until the frozen banana consistency is that of frozen yogurt
- Once it is frozen yogurt like, add in the cacao powder
- Pulse and scrape the sides until the cacao powder is thoroughly mixed into the mixture
- Place the chocolate nice cream into a container and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to allow to reharden
- While the chocolate nice cream is in the freezer, place the water, coconut milk, and matcha powder into a bowl
- Using a whisk or a blender, mix the ingredients until the matcha powder is all mixed in and the mixture becomes frothy
- Once ready, pour mixture into four cups over ice
- Remove chocolate nice cream from the freezer
- Scoop out the nice cream and place on top of each cup of iced matcha latte
- Drizzle the nice cream with hot fudge and garnish with a mint sprig (optional)
- Serve and enjoy!