One of my favorite all time desserts is Mango Sticky Rice, a very popular Thai dessert. The dessert typically consists of sticky rice cooked in coconut milk and topped with a coconut milk sauce with mango served on the side. It is really delicious. So I decided to create an adaptation of the typical recipe I found on Food Recipes HQ using quinoa instead of rice to create a healthier dessert. It turned out to be pretty good. The only aspect you do not taste in this quinoa dish is the stickiness from the sticky rice. But regardless, its flavor is just as good and it’s healthier for you and you even get protein from the quinoa, which means you could eat this for a breakfast or a dessert.
I whipped together this dish today after I finished packing for a week long trip to Dubai. I leave tonight in a few hours. I am pretty excited because I am going for a conference with only women and learning about all kinds of topics such as leadership, politics, and many other interesting and knowledgeable things. I will not be able to post for the next week until I am back.
Hope you enjoy the recipe!
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 ripe Mango
- 3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar or Honey
- 1 can Full Fat Coconut Milk
- 1½ cups of Water
- Pinch of Salt
- Place 1 cup of quinoa in a pot with 1½ cups of water and ½ cup of coconut milk, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tablespoon of brown sugar or honey
- Bring quinoa to a boil and then cover let simmer for 15 minutes, cooking as usual
- While quinoa is cooking, begin making the sauce by pouring the rest of the coconut milk into a saucepan
- Warm the coconut milk over medium-low heat but do not boil
- Add the 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar to the sauce and stir until fully dissolved
- Let sit until quinoa is done
- When quinoa and sauce is prepared, place quinoa on a plate and drizzle the coconut milk sauce over the quinoa. Add sliced mangos (or diced, if you prefer) on top of the quinoa.
- Serve and enjoy